Wednesday Discussions by Zoom
5:00 - 6:00 PM, Always by Zoom
To get the Zoom meeting link, please send an email to email@example.com by Thursday morning, and if you would like to receive weekly reminder emails with the topics for this group and the Sunday Discussion Group, please let us know.
All are welcome to join us for fun, facilitated, educational discussions on a variety of interesting and thought-provoking topics including political and personal issues, racism, climate change, current events, health care, UU values, and many more.
The group upholds and honors a group covenant and discussion guidelines (see below) to create a safe community for sharing our differing perspectives, learning from each other, and practicing our UU values reflected in the UU Principles. Coordinator: Pam P.
The online Zoom Room will have a host at 4:45 pm for casual conversations before we begin the discussion at 5:00 pm.
WEDNESDAY DISCUSSIONS TOPIC SCHEDULE
Wednesday, Nov. 22:
- How can we “Unplug the Christmas Machine” and create a more enjoyable holiday season?
- Resource: Book: Unplug the Christmas Machine: A Complete Guide to Putting Love and Joy Back into the Season.
- Facilitator: Pam Perry
Wednesday, Nov. 29:
- How can we make our own end-of-life decisions?
- Facilitator: Ron Hammons
- Christian Apologists: What are they apologizing for?
- Facilitator: John V.
- How do you or someone you know cope with loneliness?
- Facilitator: Special Guest: Jean Varsos, MA, Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist and a Licensed Professional Counselor.
- She will review the Surgeon General's report on "The Epidemic of Loneliness" and discuss solutions.
Wednesday, Dec. 20:
- Can you trust your own brain?
- Resource: 6 min. video with Neuroscientist and Clinical Psychologist, Heather Berlin - https://youtu.be/5ORz1-LWrjo?si=afJWHp2PlvlWqZPD -
- Facilitator: Pam P.
- Why does Authoritarianism appeal to so many people? Is the media to blame?
- Facilitator: James W.
We honor the group covenant and guidelines listed below.
DISCUSSION COVENANT & GUIDELINES - Rev. 5/1/2023
We, the Participants, Facilitators, Presenters and Zoom Hosts, welcome everyone, as together we create a safe, supportive and compassionate community where we practice the values reflected in the Unitarian Universalist Principles and by following discussion guidelines.
We agree to participate fully and respectfully by:
1. Listening attentively with curious and supportive attention; and waiting to speak until we have raised our hand and have been called on by the facilitator or presenter;
2. Waiting until our turn to share our comments and questions with the whole group, refraining from interruptions and side conversations;
3. Limiting our comments to two or three minutes, depending on group size, unless you are the presenter, who is encouraged to limit their presentation to 5 to 15 minutes;
4. Remembering that this is a supportive discussion group but not a support group, so confidentiality is not guaranteed;
5. Accepting and addressing our differing perspectives and biases with kindness and compassion in our learning community;
6. Speaking from our personal experience and beliefs, rather than generalizing or stereotyping individuals or groups of people;
7. Accepting that some concepts and issues might make us feel uncomfortable.
8. ON ZOOM: We agree to reduce distracting noises and behaviors by:
a. Muting our mics before and after our turn;
b. Turning off our video screen when we are eating, walking around, moving around a lot, talking with someone, or not available to give good attention; and
c. Refraining from using the Chat function, especially when someone is talking, and waiting to take a turn to explain what we are posting to Chat.