Vision, Mission, and Covenant
First Unitarian Universalist Church of Houston Vision, Mission, and Covenant Statements
Approved by the Board of Directors on 1/18/2023 Adopted by Congregational Vote on 3/5/2023
Widening Love’s Circle
Love is the spirit of our congregation.
Service is our prayer.
To dwell together in peace,
to seek truth in love,
and to encourage one another,
thus do we covenant.
Our Covenantal Intent
As a non-creedal community, we commit to our Covenant. We trust one another:
To dwell together in peace
· Express our ideas respectfully and kindly.
· Be mindful and responsible for the way our words and actions affect others.
To seek truth in love
· Hear one another through active listening and assuming good intentions.
· Seek the truth together by being connected with each other
and the world around us as we explore meanings
from diverse viewpoints.
To encourage one another
· Apply our time, talents, and resources to serve each other and the community with compassion.
· Celebrate our commonalities and differences.
· Embrace the full spectrum of human abilities.
· Commit to diversity, equity, and anti-racism.
We promise to put our covenant into practice and to be accountable to it.
Located in Houston’s Museum District, the First Unitarian Universalist Church of Houston commits to being a growing multicultural, multigenerational, and multiracial congregation in the city’s diverse urban center.
We widen love’s circle by honoring the inherent worth and dignity of all, advancing justice and religious pluralism, and inspiring an ever-deepening spirituality.
In the coming years, we shall serve as a pillar congregation for Houstonians of many faiths and build the Beloved Community by:
· Providing religious leadership and collective action devoted to ecological, social, and racial justice;
· Increasing the opportunities for transformative spiritual growth for members and seekers;
· Serving as responsible stewards through a commitment of our time, talent, and treasure; and
· Expanding and deepening our intergenerational community.