Community Projects Team
Community Projects @ Home
Please scroll down to read about projects that are ongoing or about to begin again, then check back here and read the weekly online newsletter to learn how you can make a difference!
To receive the online newsletter, please sign-up HERE.
MESSAGE FROM THE COMMUNITY PROJECTS TEAM:
Despite the rise in coronavirus cases in communities with low vaccination rates, First UU's CPT members still recognize the value of doing social justice work with community partners to lend meaning and purpose to the church's mission of "deeds, not creeds." Stop by the CPT’s table any Sunday morning for more information about the following projects
TOGETHER HOUSTON (RTH)
It again is time to pick up your paint brushes and carpenter tools to lend aid to a low income homeowner by helping maintain her home! We will work on her house from 8:30 am to 4:00 pm on Saturdays October 16 and 23. The house is located in zip code 77023. Tools and materials, as well as drinks and lunch will be provided. It would be helpful if some can bring their bring ladders. Email email@example.com if you’d like to help.
PLANT TREES FOR THE CLIMATE
First Church’s Green and Community Project Teams will join the City of Houston to plant trees on November 6 with the mission of protecting and promoting trees ans a measure to clean the air, mitigate run-off and beautify our neighborhoods. This is a collaborative effort which will take place in Townwood Park, at 3402 Simsbrook Drive, Houston, Texas 77045 (off Buffalo Speedway before W. Fuqua along Sims Bayou) from 9:00 a.m. to Noon. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
GULF COAST REGIONAL BLOOD MOBILE
On November 7, First Church will partner with the The Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center to host a blood collection drive that will be staged in the parking lot on Southmore Street across from the church. In addition to receiving free snacks and drinks for restoration of their energy after donating blood, donors will be given a free T-shirt emblazoned with a snazzy inscription displaying their giving blood contribution to save a life. Check back soon for a link to sign up for your spot to donate.
TWO HOLIDAY DRIVES
You have the opportunity to donate to the annual Toy and Clothing Drive for neglected and abused children who have become wards of the court-appointed advocate system. Check the Community Projects Table (CPT) in Channing Hall between November 12 and December 12 for the gift list and guidance in selecting presents. That’s also where you can drop off your gifts!
The Community Projects Team and Religious Education have teamed up to organize a Food Drive this fall. Donate non-perishable food and commodities at the CPT table in Channing up until November 21.
As you consider helping these organizations,
please let us know of your participation by sending us an email to email@example.com
· VOTE FORWARD- at https://votefwd.org/district TXGOTV2020A for ideas on creating and sending letters to unregistered voters in Texas.
· ANSWER Nepal – Join many fellow UUs in sponsoring the education of a deserving Nepalese youth.
· Rutherford Yates Museum – Support 1st UU’s efforts to preserve historic museum buildings in Freedmen’s Town, Houston’s first free African-American neighborhood, by purchasing e-gift cards at Lowes (for paint and primer) and having them sent to this link.
· Montrose Grace Place - Support this organization directly through Amazon with the Montrose Grace Place Wish List. Items can be purchased through Amazon and sent directly to them.
· SEARCH – Support SEARCH's House of Tiny Treasures that provides preschool for children whose lives have been impacted by homelessness, by donating supplies their teachers and staff use on a daily basis to provide students with compassionate care and learning opportunities.
· ASK YOUR COLLEGE - to write to one's college or university president, administrator, or other campus leader(s) who you might have a relationship and request that they join in the movement to support voter registration and encourage voting in the upcoming election.
· RECLAIM OUR VOTE- firstname.lastname@example.org - to assist the First UU's Justice Coordinating Committee by signing up and committing to send postcards to voters who might have removed from voter rolls and informing them of the time frame within which to get registered to vote. Registration for one of the virtual training classes can be accomplished by signing up at Harris County VDVR Program thru email@example.com.
Please let us know if you have volunteered
with any of these organizations!
If you have other ideas, please contact the CPT at firstname.lastname@example.org