SUNDAY DISCUSSION CIRCLE
- 11:15 AM
By Zoom Every Sunday & Hybrid In-Person Meetings at Church on 1st & 3rd Sundays
All are welcome for facilitated, fun, educational discussions on a variety of topics. We honor our covenant and group guidelines (see below), to create a safe community for sharing our differing perspectives and learning from each other.
NOTE: Although masks are optional at church, please wear a mask in Room 302, because over half of the Sunday Discussion Circle folks said they need us all wearing masks to be willing to attend in person and feel safe.
The online Zoom Room will have a host at 10:00 am for casual conversations before we begin the discussion at 10:15 am and when we have in-person meetings at church, a host will usually be there to greet you in Room 302 at 10:00 am.
NOTE: We need volunteers to be Greeter/Zoom Hosts in person at 10 am on Sunday mornings before and during the Discussion Circle. If you are available for a Sunday from 10:00 to 11:15 am, please email Pam at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All are welcome to join us. Please see Discussion Guidelines below the Topic Schedule
UNIVERSALIST PRINCIPLES and SOURCES
Sunday: January 29: Are or were you happy or unhappy in your paid or volunteer work and why?
Sunday, February 5: Hybrid In-Person Meeting at Church and by Zoom:
How would you grade our communities on race relations?
Facilitator: James Wooten
Sunday, February 19:* Hybrid In-Person Meeting at Church and by Zoom:
What are your thoughts about the war in Ukraine?
Facilitator: Paul Smolen
Sunday, February 26: BY ZOOM ONLY TODAY:
How do you deal with chronic pain?
Facilitator: StanWe honor the group covenant and guidelines listed below.
Discussion Covenant and Guidelines - Rev. 11/4/2022
Covenant: We, the Participants, Facilitators, Presenters and Zoom Hosts, welcome everyone, as together we create a safe, supportive and compassionate community where we practice the values reflected in the Unitarian Universalist Principles* and by following group guidelines.
We agree and aspire to participate fully and respectfully by:
1. Listening with kind, curious and supportive attention;
2. Refraining from interruptions, raising our hand and waiting until we have been called on by the Facilitator or Presenter, sharing our comments and questions with the whole group (rather than having a side conversation);
3. Limiting our comments to two or three minutes;
4. Accepting and addressing our differing perspectives and biases with kindness and compassion in our learning community;
5. Speaking from our personal experience and beliefs, rather than generalizing or stereotyping people or groups of people;
6. Respecting confidentiality;
7. Accepting that some concepts and issues might make us feel uncomfortable.
On Zoom: Reducing distracting behaviors and noises by:
-Muting our mics before and after our turn;
-Turning off our video screen when we are walking around, moving around a lot, eating, talking with someone, or not available to give good attention; and
-Using the Chat function for sharing requested resource information, but not for sending questions or personal messages to everyone in the group.