Earth Day is coming… Join our First UU Green Revolution
Connect to your First UU Church community around environmental concerns and sustainable practices. Join us and watch for all of these opportunities!
Forums, videos, workshops, Earth Day service,
Greening our building, our adult discussion circle topics and more!
3) Attend an online workshop by Loren Hopkins, City of Houston Chief Environmental Health Officer (and daughter of First UU members: Bob & Barbara Hopkins), who will speak at the Interfaith Environmental Network of Houston offering on April 11 @2 pm.Contact for the registration link.
4) Learn about plans our own church is making to Green Our Building- beyond our earlier efforts, including installing solar panels.
5) Come to our regular Discussion Circle Sunday, Apr 25-“What are Your Thoughts on Sustainability?” led by Kianna T.
Eating Plant-Based: Vegetarian Black Bean Chili Recipe!
Let’s create a more sustainable life and inspire others!
Here are some other opportunities: reduce your carbon footprint, cook plant-based together, advocate for sustainable practices, garden with us, plant trees over the next year, etc.
small group to Reduce YOUR Carbon Footprint on Sunday, April 11, 1 pm to
learn how to use the Berkley Carbon Footprint Calculator to estimate
your footprint. Reflect on what
behaviors/habits you have create more carbon.
Make a pledge to change one or more habits in the next month and share
with the group. You will have the option
to learn about carbon offsets. And you’re invited to meet with us a couple of
more times to share how you are doing, get support and learn more ideas. https://coolclimate.berkeley.edu/calculator
· Enjoy this recipe now! And if you want to get started with an easy quick recipe -here’s one recommended by Karoline Mueller: https://www.pcrm.org/good-nutrition/plant-based-diets/recipes/quickie-quesadillas· Be an Advocate for Sustainable Practices-Join with Carol Burrus and others from the Climate Action Team to speak at the Houston City Council public session (now held online) on Tuesday, April 6 at 2:00 pm. Speak about any issue related to sustainability. You will be provided with information in an email about how to sign up and what issues might be currently relevant to the city’s council members if you write to firstname.lastname@example.org. Best if you write by Apr 3rd.
· Other Advocacy-- Watch for other opportunities to write letters to the editor, call or write Texas Legislators, directly related to environmental concerns OR related to voting rights which affect the state leaders who affect environmental regulations and the move to clean energy and more.· Gardening – Two choices to garden with us! You are invited to join our Garden Team. ..we water, weed, compost, plant and care for our front garden year around. You will learn about local gardening, an important skill as we move into more of the sustainable practice of growing more food in our own yards. OR join our one-time hands-on project when harvest time comes, along with our RE children & families for learning and direct service to weed, water, compost and harvest in our front garden to harvest beans, peppers and herbs.
· Get involved with our long-term goal of Planting Trees- as part of the City of Houston’s resiliency work, they have planned to work with Houston Wilderness to plant 4.2 million trees in the Houston area. Trees provide shade, improve property values, and reduce carbon in the atmosphere. We are finding out if we can provide volunteers for planting, caring for new trees, participating in committees for decision-making, publicity, communication or other help. If you are interested, please contact email@example.com to find out information as it becomes available. We can also find other ways to plant trees in the meantime.
Beach Clean-up – Our middle school aged youth and their families (18 attending!) kicked- off our Green Revolution 2021 with their Galveston Island State Park Beach clean-up on Saturday, March 20th.
And we partnered with local black farmers to help recover from the winter storm for Spring.
Let us know how you are caring for the Earth at home, at work, with your First UU Church community! Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org