How is Unitarian Universalism different from other religions? What do you believe?
Newcomers can find our church a little puzzling at times because so much of what we believe is almost the ‘opposite’ of traditional religion.
- We have no creed, but we do have shared Principles.
- We are not as concerned with the hereafter as we are with the “here and now.”
- We find wisdom not in a single scripture but in many.
- We believe in deeds, not creeds: actions speak louder than words.
- We expect people’s beliefs to change over time.
- We expect different members to believe different things about God.
- We expect to be respected for our individual beliefs.
Why attend this church?
- You want healthy, supportive relationships in your life.
- This community helps you connect to others with love across differences.
- If you discover you are a religious liberal (not necessarily a political one!), you may find your values and beliefs in the minority everywhere you go.
- You want to be part of a community that affirms the values of love and acceptance in the public square.
- Church is a place where you can find a place to develop your gifts in service to your values and ideas — in a concrete way. You have gifts, some well-developed, others less. As one of our hymns puts it: we have “gifts in differing measure, and hearts of one accord.” You can thrive at a church where you can use your gifts.
- You support our mission and vision and want to make a difference in the world.
What are the expectations of Visitors?
- Bring an open mind.
- Dress as you feel most comfortable
- Provide us with your contact information if you would like to remain connected
- If the fit feels right, come back next Sunday.
So, how do I get connected?
We are one church in two locations. Our core ministries are very similar on both campuses; each has a volunteer team that works with the staff to carry out our mission. While the core is the same, enrichment activities vary quite a bit by campus.
First Church has a monthly newsletter and each campus has a weekly email that describes what is happening each week.
You can also get the latest information on our campus Facebook pages.
The weekly blast and monthly newsletter are distributed by email. Fill out a guest information card to be added to our distribution lists.
Please let us know if your mailing address, phone number or email address changes. We want to stay in touch! For questions or information contact the church office.