SUNDAY DISCUSSION CIRCLE
10:15 to 11:15 am
By Zoom and In Person in Room 302
All are welcome for facilitated, fun, educational discussions on a variety of topics. We honor our covenant and group guidelines (see below), to create a safe community for sharing our differing perspectives and learning from each other. Masks are required when we meet in person at church, and no drinks are allowed except outside the room. The ZOOM room opens Sundays around 10 am to meet and greet each other.
Upcoming Topics and Facilitators
What do you believe is the impact of Martin Luther King and the Civil Rights Movement on America today?
Facilitator: Eric B
Sunday, January 23:
How do you decide which nonprofits to support and what resources do you use to decide? One resource is www.CharityNavigator.org
Facilitator: John H.
NOTE: We will end early today at 11:00 am for a brief facilitators’ meeting to schedule topics and facilitators for February.
Facilitator: Jan M
We follow the group covenant and guidelines listed below.
DISCUSSION COVENANT & GUIDELINES
We, the Participants, Facilitators, Presenters and Zoom Hosts, welcome everyone, as together we create a safe, supportive and mindful community where we practice UU Principles (see below) and values by following group guidelines.
We, the Participants, Facilitators, Presenters and Zoom Hosts, covenant and aspire:
1. To participate respectfully by raising our hand, waiting to be called on by the facilitator, and sharing for only one to two minutes.
2. To listen with curiosity and compassion, appreciating differing perspectives, and addressing our biases with kindness in a learning community;
3. To share from personal experience and beliefs, refraining from stereotyping groups of people, and to respect everyone’s personal privacy;
4. To accept with compassion our differing levels of awareness of our biases;
5. To refrain from side conversations and interruptions, waiting until our turn to share our comments and questions with the whole group;
6. To accept that some concepts and issues might make us feel uncomfortable;
7. On Zoom: (a) To reduce distractions by muting our mics before and after our turn, and (b) To refrain from using the Chat function to send messages unless invited to do so by the facilitator.
UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST PRINCIPLES
There are seven principles which Unitarian Universalist congregations affirm and promote:
1. The inherent worth and
dignity of every person;
2. Justice, equity and compassion in human relations;
3. Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;
4. A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;
5. The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;
6. The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all;
7. Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.