A spiritual community for all: advancing justice and embracing diversity with love and acceptance.
We have created a set of dreams and goals which are called Provocative Proposals. These proposals are a set of plans for the future, set in the present tense, as if they are already true. While not written in stone, they set a blueprint for where we want to head as a congregation.
The Provocative Proposals came out of a process, Appreciative Inquiry, in which the congregation met in groups to discuss questions about our most meaningful experiences:
- Tell about a time at First Church when you felt the most motivated and excited.
- What do you most value about First Church?
- What three wishes do you have for our congregation's future?
- What are the most valuable gifts the church can give?
The Provocative Proposals have laid out our ideals for worship, spiritual growth and religious education, culture and community, progressive voice in the greater community, music, social action and leadership.
Our Relational Covenant
In summary, the First Church Behavioral Covenant creates a church-wide commitment to:
- Work to build community
- Work toward honest, open, effective and respectful communication
- Work to make effective decisions as a community
Our covenant or agreement with one another to do our best to keep our members safe, particularly those most vulnerable, such as children, youth and older members.