Date(s) - Sunday, Apr 26, 2020
8:45 am - 9:30 am
Thoreau - Stafford Campus
First Unitarian Universalist Church of Houston
An Alternative Worship Experience at the Thoreau Richmond Campus
March 22, April 12, April 26, May 10, 24, June 14
What: An intimate, contemplative worship experience early Sunday Morning
When: Second and Fourth Sundays, 8:45 to 9:30 am, from March 22 through June 14
Where: Sanctuary, Thoreau Richmond Campus
How: Utilizing the ancient spiritual practice of Lectio Devina, we will read and ponder one of our weekly readings. Lectio Divina is a contemplative practice with Christian roots in the Benedictine tradition. It combines slow, conscious reading of a “sacred” text (Lectio) with meditation (Meditatio), prayer (Oratio) and contemplation (Contemplatio). In community, we listen with the “ear of the heart”.
- During Sunday Circle Lectio Divina, we put aside thoughts of studying the text. This is not the time to consider the historical, literary or theological meanings of what we are reading. We read with a willingness to enter the text in a felt sense. The purpose of this practice is to listen to that “still, small voice” within and hear, in silence, the mystery of this moment. What, through this reading, is Love calling to me to right now?
- While the Sunday Circle worship format is different from our traditional Sunday Celebration, the theme is the same, as the reading will be selected from that Sunday’s Order of Service. After Sunday Circle, on their own, participants will have the opportunity to read or watch the minister’s sermon for which the reading was used.
- Early-riser congregants have an opportunity to worship early on Sunday, with the rest of the day free for other activities. Participants will be able to join Thoreau’s Adult Discussion Group at 9:30 am, teach in RE, help in the kitchen, join in traditional worship, experience the beauty of our campus, and/or stay for hospitality hour if they wish.
- Through a small group experience, participants will gain connections to each other, their deeper callings, and to the world around them.
- Participants will learn how to facilitate small group worship experiences, if they choose to do so.
- When weather permits, Sunday Circle can be held outdoors.
- Childcare for all ages will be available as needed.