Why join our church?
- You want to Connect – to belong to something bigger than yourself. A lone individual can only accomplish so much.
- You want to Grow – to find a safe place for your spiritual journey. Our church is a place where your mind will be stretched, your heartstrings tugged, and your conscience called to action – if you let it!
- You want to Serve – to commit to living out your values in a community of like-minded seekers.
What are the expectations of new members?
- We ask you to attend and get connected to our church for a few months before getting ready to join.
- Attend Sunday Services and worship regularly.
- Try a Growth Group or our other Enrichment activities to meet other people at one of our campuses in a supportive atmosphere.
- Regularly participate in our Outreach and/or Shared Offerings.
- Get involved with a Social Justice activity or ministry team.
New UU Workshop
While not a requirement for membership, we hope you can attend one of our “New UU” workshops to learn more about membership. These workshops will:
- Help you get to know new people.
- Learn more about Unitarian Universalism.
- Learn more about First Unitarian Universalism Church of Houston. Learn more about your campus and how to get involved.
- Discern how good the fit is for you and your family.
We try to offer “New UU” classes workshops, usually a few times a year on a Saturday morning, or after services. Childcare is available upon request.
What is the meaning of membership at First Unitarian Universalist Church?
- Our membership process is based on the idea that once you become fully engaged at First Church and journey on a path toward spiritual depth, you will transform your life.
- Members and their families are fully engaged in the life of First Church, and are generous in their commitment to our shared ministry.
- To be a member means you make a commitment to support the community, and the community makes certain commitments to support you.
Okay, how do I join?
We welcome you to join with us in the rich spiritual life of this community. We are confident your relationship with First Unitarian Universalist Church will be spiritually, intellectually and emotionally rewarding.
In a nutshell, to become a member of First Church:
- So we can get to know you better, fill out a registration form.
- Become connected to our church community.
- Meet with a member of the Welcome Team or Campus Minister.
- Make a financial commitment to First Church.
- Sign the membership book.
Our Welcome Team can set up a meeting and bring the book out when you indicate your intention to join. Most people usually join after a Sunday service (during coffee hour) or after a New UU workshop. Once you have your forms complete, let the Welcome Team or the Campus Minister know you are ready to make a commitment and to sign the book.
Not everyone is ready for membership.
There are certain commitments expected from members. Some guests are ready to join right away — others may take a year or two. In the meantime, after you’ve been around too long to be a just a visitor, you are invited to be a “pledging friend.” This means attending regularly, involving yourself in any of the activities which call to you, and pledging the financial support that makes everything ‘church’ possible.